Flame Dance nectarenco

Bellbird taking nectar from the redhot poker (Kniphofia uvaria Flamenco)
by Bronwyn Hegarty, 2018
Flame Dance nectarenco

Did you know I was watching?
as you sucked, quietly
Did you know I was clicking?
when you leapt from flower to flower
I was delighted to catch you in the act
Did you know that?

Green sheen against red
my heart was still as you landed
stopped for a while to drink
heart beats pounding  
Did I miss the best pose?
before you flew back into the tree

Did you know how many shots I took?
when you flew in and clung to each flower
close shots, long shots, testing the new camera
while you took in the sweetness of the red hot poker
a short lasting flower but so sweet.

You took advantage of the sweet nectar
I exploited your closeness to my window
to try out the zoom lens and the depth of field
gaining confidence as you drank
oblivious to my joy
watching behind glass

Thank you......

Kōrimako aka bellbird, Anthornis melanura
olive songbird with curved beak
a southern hummingbird
extracting copious nectar hidden to me
finding the last drop in each bulbous petal
before flying away, full on summer's bounty.

Did you know I am still waiting
behind glass
for your return
next summer?
Camera poised
more confident now
to work the lens
and take the winning shot.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Old Fashioned Rambling Rose

Kokako why did you leave?