Three Trees by Bronwyn Hegarty, 2017

Three Trees

Walking fast, walking past, a stark and tangled beauty against the moist sky
Three trees
Grey on green almost unseen as life's heaviness crushes me
I stop to look, a moment taken from the wrangle in my head
Smooth bark and windswept leaves, stand as protectors of the lees.
Protect me dark honey trees, anthelmintic, anti-bacterial
Mānuka, kahikātoa, red mānuka, tea tree, Leptospermum scoparium
Good for wood, building, spears - a direct jab to the heart of it all
Long-standing, guarding with the wisdom 
of years spent watching and waiting.
Raggedy tag trees, so hard and strong, giving hidden power
Nondescript leaves, sweet and good, a once precious tea
Sugary sap rising with the lengthening light
Strengthening my eye for the pending fight, a life situation
An earth vibration.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Old Fashioned Rambling Rose

Kokako why did you leave?